If you’ve ever been in a car accident, you may have experienced a back injury or back pain. In fact, 63% of the time, the ongoing lower back pain one experiences after a motor vehicle accident is directly connected to the injury that occurred at the time of the accident (Science Direct).
Back pain can be so severe that it can keep you from doing things you did before the accident. Whether your car accident happened last week or last year, if you are experiencing new or chronic back pain symptoms, Renew Physical Therapy can help you get on a custom treatment plan.
Part of your recovery will include a combination of manual therapy, exercises, and education to help ease your lower back pain.
Here are three exercises we have shared with patients who suffer from back pain:
Before trying any of the below exercises, please consult with a Renew physical therapist to verify that these exercises are appropriate for your injury.
- Knees to Chest: Sitting down hugging your knees to your chest releases tension and will neutralize your lower back, while also alleviating your pain.
- Abdominal Bracing:
- Setup: Begin lying on your back with your knees bent, feet resting on the floor, and your hands resting by your sides.
- Movement: Press your hands into the floor and tighten your abdominals, pulling your navel in toward your spine and up. Hold this position, then relax and repeat.
- Tip: Make sure you keep your back flat against the floor and do not hold your breath as you tighten your muscles.
- Bird Dog:
- Setup: Start on all fours. Your hands should be in line with your shoulders, and your knees are in line with your hips.
- Movement: While keeping your shoulders and hips parallel to the ground, raise your right arm and left leg. Hold for a few seconds, then return to all fours. Repeat the same movement with your left arm and right leg.
- Tip: Keep a neutral spine by engaging your core. This will prevent your back from sagging.
If you or someone you know has been in a car accident, contact Renew Physical Therapy to ask about our Crash Care program and let us help you get back to what you love.