Running is one of the most popular ways to exercise and stay in shape. Although it is a great activity to maintain a healthy lifestyle, most experienced runners will deal with some type of injury each year. Taking care of your body can prevent injuries to keep you on the run.
At Renew Physical Therapy, we share five tips for healthy running:
- Wear Proper Shoes: Having the proper footwear is essential. Read our feature article this month about how to choose the right shoes.
- Hydrate: Drinking water before, during and after running is important for performance. Dehydration can cause decreased coordination, headaches, nausea, and cramping, which can lead to injuries.
- Stretch: Stretching allows your body to loosen before a run and can relieve sore muscles after a run. Stretching also increases overall mobility and flexibility, which prevents injuries.
- Keep it Reasonable: Increase the volume, intensity, and frequency of your runs gradually so that your body can adapt.
- Listen to Your Body: Overusing the body is the most common reason for running-related injuries. Take rest days or decrease the intensity of your run when necessary. If you experience any injuries, contact us at Renew Physical Therapy!